At Sun-Park Dental, we offer dental implants, and prosthetic devices that replace missing teeth. They are considered a long-term solution for tooth loss and offer a more permanent and stable alternative to traditional dentures or dental bridges. Dental implants are typically made of titanium, a biocompatible material that can be integrated with the jawbone through osseointegration.
The implant is a small, screw-shaped post surgically placed into the jawbone, serving as a replacement for the tooth root. Once the implant is placed, a healing period of several months is often required to allow the implant to fuse with the surrounding bone tissue. This integration process ensures a strong and stable foundation for the artificial tooth.
After the healing period, an abutment is attached to the implant. The abutment is a connector that extends above the gum line and supports the replacement tooth or crown. The dental crown is custom-made to match the shape, size, and color of the natural teeth, and it is secured to the abutment, creating a fully functional and aesthetically pleasing tooth replacement.
Types of Dental Implants
Endosteal implants are typically made of titanium and are shaped like small screws. These implants are surgically placed directly into the jawbone during a minor surgical procedure. Once the implant integrates with the bone, a dental crown is attached to replace the missing tooth.
Subperiosteal implants are an alternative to endosteal implants when a patient has insufficient bone height or quality for the placement of endosteal implants. Instead of being inserted into the jawbone, subperiosteal implants are placed on or above the jawbone beneath the gum tissue. They also include a metal framework with posts that protrude through the gums to hold the dental prosthesis in place.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
- Dental implants provide a stable and secure foundation for replacement teeth, allowing for normal chewing and speaking without worrying about slipping or shifting.
- Dental implants are designed to closely resemble natural teeth, enhancing your smile and restoring your facial aesthetics.
- Dental implants can last many years with proper care and maintenance, providing a durable and permanent tooth replacement prosthetic.
- Dental implants stimulate the jawbone through osseointegration, helping to prevent bone loss and maintaining the structure and integrity of the jaw.
- Dental implants eliminate the discomfort and irritation often associated with removable dentures, as they are securely anchored in the jawbone.
- Dental implants allow for clear and natural speech, as they do not interfere with tongue movements or cause slurred speech commonly experienced with removable dentures.
Dental implants can replace all missing teeth, providing many benefits, including improved oral function and a more appealing smile. To learn more about dental implants, visit dentist Rocklin, CA at Sun-Park Dental at 5400 Park Dr Suite 100, Rocklin, CA 95765, or call (916) 435-1155.